Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Nagoya Week-end, Translation part 1


After some delay, here is the english translation of my week-end at Nagoya... part 1. Take note that this has nothing to do with whatever I did THIS week-end. It's all about last week :

I have many things to tell and it has been a while since I updated my blog. This is why I will split the week-end in two posts.

This first part was writen (mostly) Saturday after-noon at the hotel, but since I didn't had internet access (or time to translate) I only posted it after coming back on Monday (in french).



I have a small 20min to waste before going to see my friends so I'm taking this time to write down today's events. Friday, around 17h33, I took the Shinkansen (Bullet train) all the way to Nagoya to spend the week-end and, with a bit of luck, see my two friends who are going back to Quebec soon. With them gone I'll pretty much be a lonely Quebecois in Japan as far as I know.

I said "a bit of luck" because they are both very busy with their final exam, leaving preparations, closing ceremony and so on. No matter, I had only visited Nagoya quickly last year and I was happy to visit it again this week-end. Of course, as I write this, I haven't done much yet. When I arrived at my hotel Friday night I expected to spend the night there since my friends had told me that they were both busy in the evening. However, around 23h I received a call from Reb to an All-You-Can-Drink-All-Night-Long-Karaoke-Night !

Now I must take a brief moment to explain the situation. The Hotel I booked is actually a youth hostel and I had already stayed there last September. Honnestly, I think it was one of the worst places I stayed at during my travel in September. Of course, it was also the cheapest I could find which explain my decision to go back there knowing how average it was. By average I mean : No elevator, you can only use the showers in the evening (between 5h30 and 10 !?!), one washing machine for everyone, dormitory rooms are jam-packed, etc. THE thing however I did not remember was the fact that this place closes at night from 23h to 7h. And by closing what I really mean is "complete lockdown". Doors locked, light down and not a single soul alive at 11h01. Now don't get me wrong, I could understand closing around midnight, after all, anyone still out after midnight probably missed his last train anyway. But 11h !?! that's kind of early, and I knew my friends would have more free time during the evening...

All that meant that a "all-night-long" party was ideal, necessary even, if I wanted to go out. Needless to say, I jumped on the occasion ! but hold on ! when I received the message it was 23h10 ! Seriously, if this place catches on fire everyone dies ! It took me 20min to find a door I could unlock from the inside without using a key. Of course, it wasn't the most lawful thing to do, but like I said, I wasn't going to miss an occasion to see my friends ! All in all it was a nice evening too. When I came back the next morning tough, one more surprise was waiting for me. I tough, having booked from 2 days, that I could sleep during the day at the hotel, but obviously I had misunderstood. Everyone in the hotel must leave between 10h and 15h so that they can clean up the room. So I got woke up by the cleaning lady around 10h. So Saturday I sleept from 7h to 10h and then I took a nap between 15h and 18h... Tss, anyway, Sleep is absolutely superfluous, I'll have plenty of time to sleep Sunday night.

The rest in update two !

No comments: